In case you weren't aware, June is a very special month for the Gameday Cloth family. We are celebrating not one, but two weddings. While we wish that we could have invited each and every one of you, that simply wasn't possible. But in lieu of that, here's something that always make us smile:
This next week is Father's Day. I'm also getting married in 10 days. I can't think of a better way to celebrate my Dad than to have those moments with him just before he walks me down the aisle and to have that dance with him as one of my first moments as a new Mrs.
I'm fortunate that my Dad has not just been around my whole life, but been a great role model, friend and disciplinarian. He played tic-tac-toe with me in church when we were both bored, he cheered in the audience from every play, production, dance concert, pageant, etc … And now we enjoy sharing business, football and wine. I couldn't ask for a stronger man to have shown me what I deserve in a husband. I can't wait to celebrate him this weekend and show him how much I appreciate him throughout my wedding weekend.
My Dad always had two rules growing up:
(1) Don't sweat the small stuff
(2) Everything is small stuff
I suck at following those rules, but I never forget that he said it. Cheers to the men in our lives that inspired us to be better people, cared for us in our tears, fussed at us when we thought we knew better and loved us no matter what. Whoever you call that man in our life, be sure you do something special for him on Father's Day.
I love you, Dad.
I love that our store in Shops at Legacy is located right by Ella Bleu. It's such a cute, girlie store and I feel like I find something every time I walk in! Melissa, the store owner, has become a great friend over the last four years. One of my favorite things is combining our clothes and creating amazing looks. This time it's all about SUMMER!
Lace shorts @ Ella Bleu
Top, sandals & necklace @ Ella Bleu
MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE OUTFIT!!!
Fedora, sandals & necklace @ Ella Bleu
Clutch @ Ella Bleu
'47 Brand Cubs tank @ Gameday Cloth
Lace shorts & sunnies @ Ella Bleu
THVM jeans @ Gameday Cloth
Kimono, top & necklace @ Ella Bleu
It's the perfect time of year to try out a new style. It's summer and everything is more laid back, including your wardrobe choices. Give some every day, festival-inspired wears a whirl. Check out my top picks:
On this super rainy day, I found myself dreaming of days at the pool and that tight feeling in your skin after a day in the sun and a happy shower pre-dinner with friends. As I look outside at the grey and wet everywhere, I have the urge to shop online for a new swim suit.
But, alas, my friend Alex Young, the blogging brains behind Eat Style Dallas has yet again saved the day. He just posted Poolside Must Haves on his site and I'd be remiss not to share. I met Alex when he volunteered to model in our first ever runway show in 2011, here at the store in Shops at Legacy. We hit it off and I've loved him and his love of all things food and fashion ever since.
Alex describes himself he’s Always Hungry. Always Styled. Always in the know and hungry for more. He is also a regular contributor to KTXD TV’s morning show “The Broadcast” hosted by his friend Courtney Kerr, as the “Dapper Dater." Born and raised in Texas, his blog serves as a guide to all things dapper and delicious.
And without further ado:
(1) Protect the skin you’re in. I’m a local guy who loves local brands and when a great product comes into that mix, well you just can’t go wrong. My first pick? Jack Black Skin Care Sun Guard Sunscreen SPF 45 Oil-Free & Very Water Resistant Lotion. I absolutely hate when a sunscreen product has that self tanner or toxic smell that you catch a whiff of at the pool or outdoors. Enter Jack Black who has created a sun protection product that gets it. The vitamin-enriched, oil-free, very water- and sweat-resistant lotion absorbs quickly without greasy or heavy residue so theres no worries about the white caking on your face or skin. Perfect.
(2) Lip Work. My friends know me as the guy who always has a product on me in order to protect my lips from dryness. My favorite product to do the trick poolside? Kyoku Lip Fuel (SPF 15). It’s a one application wonder that counteracts uncomfortably dry, chapped lips and sunburn. Your lips are often forgotten in the midst of margaritas, music and mayhem at the pool but you’ll thank me when you use this minty mouth saver that’ll save you from cracked lips later.
(3) Best Face Forward. You don’t allow wrinkles in your closet, why would you allow them on your face? Worry no more with my favorite face lotion thats bound to keep the hydration in your face after a long day of sunning. Pick up Anthony Logistics For Men Facial Moisturizer Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30. Sugarcane, sugar maple, orange, and lemon extracts work in tandem to tighten the skin and keep the harmful rays out. All different kinds of skin types can use this nourishing face saver and that is why I always use it when I know I’ll be out in the sun.
(4) Beer, Margaritas…Beer-itas. The drink of choice when poolside if often something that’ll have you dragging later, no matter how tasty. I’m not opposed to those beverages but I was looking for something to incorporate in between the adult imbibing. Another local company that is keeping my thirst quenched Koa Organic Water, is a flavorful approached to getting H2O back into the program. It’s water with 10 minerals and 9 vitamins! Cheers!
(5) Shade shade shade. You won’t be able to see that hottie crossing the pool area if you are being blinded by the sun. Why not do it in style? My pick for this upcoming pool season is the Ray Ban Teardrop Aviator Sunglasses. The chic goldtone metal frames reflect the suns rays while the lenses provide 100 % UV Protection. Grab a pair while they last in stores, friends.
The Bonneville is quickly becoming one of Austin's best restaurants and it's really easy to see why. I made my first trip to the Bonneville before we opened Gameday Cloth's Austin location. It was the moment that I knew that I was making the right choice. The food and drinks that day were amazing and they've gotten better each time I've visited.
Located on Cesar Chavez, their dog friendly patio overlooks Town Lake and is only a block away from Congress Bridge. The views are amazing and it offers great people watching potential. Their happy hour has been named one of the best in Austin (I agree 100%) and even offers great prices on food. I've been very guilty of enjoying one pepino fresco too many, but they are beyond delicious. It's the perfect atmosphere before viewing the bats or heading to ACL Live.
Austin seems to have perfected brunch and the Bonneville is among the best. Personally, I'm a big fan of the bananas foster French toast with a side of the bacon tater tots and house-made pecan sticky buns, but you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. My fiancee swears that the chipotle-lime chicken hash has changed her life.
Brunch and happy hour are great, but the Bonneville's dinner service is even better. Chef Jennifer Costello and Chef Chris Hurley has created a menu that has something for everyone. I would tell you what I've enjoyed, but I would simply be reciting the menu. From their appetizers to their pizzas and entrees...just make sure that you save room for dessert. You won't regret it.